Beets – you either love them or hate them. If you already love them, welcome to the club! If you hate them chances are you’ve had the misfortune of encountering the canned kind on a restaurant salad. I agree. That version is less than stellar. I’m here to convert the haters into total beet-lovers so they can join the club and reap all the incredible benefits. Because, not only is this club delicious, it will do amazing things for your health! Here are just a few reasons to put beautiful beets back in your diet.
1. Love Your Liver: Your liver works 24/7 to keep to you clean and clear of toxins that enter your body. So, it’s important to give it a little love! Beets have long been used for medicinal purposes because of their ability to stimulate and liver’s detoxification processes.
2. Beets for your Heartbeat: Beets are generally very supportive of the blood and circulation. Specifically, they contain important phytonutrients such as betanin and isobetanin and key nutrient choline that can inhibit inflammatory markers linked to heart disease.
3. Grab the Greens: The most nutritious beets are those with the greens still attached. Cut them off as soon as you get home or they will begin to wilt. The greens are highly nutritious and shouldn’t be discarded. They are rich in folic acid, especially important for healthy development of the fetus during pregnancy. They are also an excellent source of vitamin K for strong bones and vitamin A for good eyesight and healthy skin. You can sauté with garlic them, add them to soups or use the tender greens in a salad.
I recently made this recipe at my local farmers market and it was a big hit! The lovers AND haters were big fans of this salad and everyone was amazed at how quick and simple the recipe is. The memorable response was a couple who stopped by once the crowd had subsided a bit. The woman asked for a sample and in the same breath told me how she really didn’t care for beets. She took a hesitant spoonful, paused, nodded and took another bite. Her response….”this is actually pretty good!” Her husband was stunned and said,
“I’ve been married to this woman for 30 years and I’ve NEVER seen her eat a beet before!”
What can I say folks…I’m here for all your foodie firsts! 🙂
Raw Beet Slaw with Horseradish
1 to 1 ½ pounds beets, scrubbed
1 large or 2 small spring onion
1 tablespoon fresh horseradish, or more if you like it spicier (Jarred works as well. Read the label to ensure you recognize the ingredients and it’s free of flavorings and oils.)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 sprig tarragon, minced (optional)
¼ cup parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Grate the beets on the large grating insert of your food processor. (You can also use a box grater. If you grate them by hand rubber gloves can be very handy!) Scrape grated beets into a large bowl.
2. Peel the horseradish and grate it finely in the food processor or on a box grater. Add it to the beets and mix until well combined.
3. Add the olive oil, vinegar and herbs to the beets and horseradish. Combine well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Serving Suggestions: This slaw can be eaten with crackers, on a sandwich, with grilled meat or alongside a hearty green salad. When in season grated carrots are a nice addition to this dish and replacing the horseradish with ginger gives it a refreshing bite. You can store this salad, covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Photo from HERE